Four must-see documentaries at this year's CAIFF
The 21st California Independent Film Festival starts this Friday, Aug. 24 at the Rheem Theatre with the World Premiere of "The Salzburg Story." Over the weekend, Aug. 25 and 26, the festival will be held at the Orinda Theatre. It returns to the Rheem Theatre at 6 p.m. ...By Derek Zemrak
Art on the wild side
Some people in Lamorinda do not even know there is an art gallery in Moraga; with its front entrenched deep under a wide dark eave in the Rheem Shopping Center, it does not look like much to passersby. But don't let the outside entrance fool you. The new Moraga Art ...By Sophie Braccini
Art deco Orinda theatre featured in award-winning short
Not every person who's passionate about movies longs to walk the red carpet or find themselves in the pages of People magazine. Many, like Moraga resident and movie lover Julia Anderson, want to work behind the scenes. In fact, Anderson describes herself as "definitely ...By Diane Claytor
CAIFF Opening Night 2018
For the first time its 21-year history, the California Independent Film Festival will kick off the festivities, and set the tone for the remaining seven days, with the world premiere of an international film - the delightful Austrian romantic drama "The Salzburg ...By Derek Zemrak
Of awe and oddness
The mysteries and beauties of life are celebrated at the Jennifer Perlmutter Gallery this summer. As someone who always surprises and delights, the painter and gallery owner has invited artists to illustrate different aspects of surreal representations. Paintings by ...By Sophie Braccini
'The Third Murder' a reflection on truth and destiny
Hirokazu Kore-eda's movie that will show in Orinda starting Aug. 10 is a dizzying descent into the hiding places of a murder suspect's soul. "The Third Murder" is a game of cat and mouse between a man who has his life on the line and his lawyer, who starts out simply ...By Sophie Braccini
21st California Independent Film Festival opens Aug. 24
Now in its 21st year, this year's California Independent Film Festival will open again at the Rheem Theatre - something that had been quite improbable until just a few months ago - and will be held in a completely refreshed performance hall, with opening night bringing ...By Sophie Braccini
Leonard Maltin to be honored at the 21st California Independent Film Festival
The 21st California Independent Film Festival is less than two months away and planning is already in full swing. The dates for the festival are Aug. 24-30 in Rheem and Orinda Theatres and it will end on Sept. 1 at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco.
By Derek Zemrak
Town Hall Theatre announces donor thank you event: 'Gone Missing'
Town Hall Theatre's annual donor thank you event - a one-night only performance of the original and inventive documentary musical "Gone Missing," created by The Civilians - will be held at 8 p.m. July 14 at Town Hall Theatre Company.
Submitted by Susan Evans
Spirit turned into art: a Moraga artist expresses her creativity
Dina Asna may walk with two crutches and struggle a bit over natural obstacles, but there is nothing weak about the woman. The painter and jewelry maker of Iranian origin was told by her father since she was a girl that nothing was impossible for her, even if she was ...By Sophie Braccini
Cal Shakes' 'Quixote Nuevo' a terrific, music-filled romp
Attending live theater performances at California Shakespeare Theater is risky business.
First, there's the possibility of sweating during a matinee in 100-degree temperatures or having ...By Lou Fancher
'Won't You Be My Neighbor'
I f you asked any 30 to 80-year-old "What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Won't You Be My Neighbor," I would guess that 75 percent would say "Mr. Rogers" and the other 25 percent would say "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood." But who was Fred Rogers, the ...By Derek Zemrak
'Precision Beauty' at Moraga Art Gallery
The title of the new exhibition at the Moraga Art Gallery expresses acutely what the two featured artists are all about: precise and finely crafted art, where the beauty emerges seamlessly through the enormous amount of work needed for the art's completion. Karen ...By Sophie Braccini
Orinda Starlight Village Players 35th season opens in the park
The amphitheater in Orinda Community Park will once again be the scene of summer theater as the Orinda Starlight Village Players produce their 35th consecutive season of plays. On Friday and Saturday evenings, and some Thursdays, playgoers will be able to enjoy three ...By Sora O'Doherty